1.7.09

Zen Conversation with My Daughter, Episode 3

I shouted across the playground to my daughter informing her we'll be leaving in 5 minutes. I believe in being a fair parent, allowing for plenty of warnings and open communication to minimize misunderstandings between us. She didn't answer so I shouted pass the slides and monkey bars if she heard me. She threw me an icy glare. The reply shamed me:

"EVERYBODY heard you, Mom."

Harsh.
I thought I was a cool edgy mom to my six year old. We read comic books for bedtime, watched Miami Ink together, I let her help pick out my tattoo design, took her on trips for weeks across states and continents, taught her all the bad words so she can learn them from me instead of some snot at the playground, took her to indy film screenings, shepherded her in finding her hapa identity, hell, I dyed her hair hot pink when she was three.

Today? Today, I planted myself firmly into the soil of "Parents Who Just Don't Get It."

No comments: