27.4.09

Who's in charge?

I was asked to give feedback to a children's game. I gave my two cents about the board colors, textures, and cute pictures....and then some. I told the people that I thought they went about "diversity" totally wrong. The game featured "ethnic" children happily playing the game together, listening to instructions by a white man. They were trying to be all inclusive by showing the little white boys and girls and little black boys and girls play together. But who's THE MAN? Who do they all still have to listen to? Some middle age white guy. Of course the authoritative figure was a white male. I didn’t expect them to change, but I thought it was worth bringing it to their attention. A POC as the leader. How's that for forward thinking, uh?

The staff politely thanked us and I can't decide is she was slightly embarrassed or truly confused at my comment. I knew I wasn't going to change a whole system with one short comment, but I had to say it out loud.

You know I should give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they already tested versions of the game featuring a POC directing the kids and it just did not test well with groups. Maybe the version with the big black guy scared the shit out of small children. And none of the kids paid attention and started picking their noses to the version with the Asian man. I'm sure they had their reasons for choosing a comfortable standard white man to be the GOD of the game.



Thanks, Brenda!

No comments: