25.4.09

Oppression is a Double Bagger.

I talked to my long time friend Miranda this week. Here’s a snippet of our conversation:

Miranda: I find what you have to say on race fascinating.

Me: Thanks, Miranda!

Me Inside: Doy, yah. I’m fabulous. Where have you been?

Miranda: I don't think I'm as stupid and naive as a lot of others when it comes to that, but I can't possibly really know what it's like and for me it's really interesting and thought-provoking to know.

Me Inside: You’re not stupid because you are abso-fucking-lutely right to say I’m interesting!

Miranda: I didn't choose to be white, but I think a lot has to do with how people use it/abuse it or don't. Being fat mimics a lot of what you're talking about, it's something else I didn't choose, but is discriminated against all the time.

Me Inside: Ooooh, soap box time! Damn it, this box is too short. I’m still like, only 5’7” standing here. If only I have a couple of phone books. Who has those anymore?

Me: It all comes down to power and class. The latent current of power and oppression manifests itself through different methods. Those in power need a way to separate themselves from those without. The power system identifies the targeted populations by picking arbitrary shared characteristics, marginalizing the groups with identifying traits. For this country, classes are often separated by visual physical differences, such as skin color, body size, and clothing. In countries where looks are more homogeneous, the power manifests more in non-visible traits like political party and religion. The marginalized groups are prevented from the benefits of social institutes and services. I don't hate white people, I hate the white centered system of oppression.

Me Inside: Nailed that point pretty well. I should treat myself to a bubble tea today.

Miranda: I hate society's inability to accept differences in general.

Me: I don't even think society has an innate instinct to dislike differences. I think people use differences as an excuse to exercise power. Prejudice is a tool of oppression. Oppression is the abuse of power. For an oppressor, denying the rights of people is not enough because one will eventually question the merits. The marginalized groups must also be stigmatized, dehumanized, and out of mainstream in order to justify the actions of the oppressors. At the end, it’s not the color of skin that matters. What matters is which color has the power.

Me Inside: Oppressors are douche bags.

Thanks, M!

No comments: