17.4.09

Asian Characters for Tattoos

Tattoos of asian words. You’ve all seen them. Sporty Spice had a “Girl Power” tat and it was like totally cool when I was a Spice Girls fan back in high school. Okay, I’m still a fan. I do remember as a child I saw one my dad’s friends with the Chinese words for “marijuana” tattooed on his forearm. I asked my dad why his friend would have that tattoo. My wise father quietly told me that his friend thinks the words mean “Good Luck.”

Actually, he wasn’t using his quiet voice. When people around us don’t speak Chinese, he uses his big booming voice like we’re at some open air market. I think it’s a form of defiance and self pride when he spats negative comments extra loud in Chinese since “they can’t understand anyway!” This happens often much to my brothers’ and my dismay.

Back to the story, I was appalled that my father wouldn’t tell his friend the truth. My dad taught me to be a good honest hard working person. He is the definition of honor to me. But he went on to assure me that “It’s too late for the truth now.”


Sidenote: I knew what pot was when I was around 12. Somehow, that feels a little wrong.

No comments: