24.10.09

Amelia, Hazel, and Katherine.


Hazel Ying Lee

I had the chance to see Amelia this week. Let me just say that any screen presentation of an admired and sensationalized pioneering women aviator, such as Amelia Earhart, is tricky business. You can’t please everyone. I personally loved it. I’ll watch it again. I do wish there was more about the intricacy of a pilot’s life and less on the painful romance with Richard Gere. Their kisses were as awkward as Luke and Leia’s smooches. But those strained moments may have been director Mira Nair’s way to communicate Earhart’s reluctance toward marriage.

I was expecting, or at least faithfully hoping, to see POCs in the movie. None. Maybe I missed it, but didn’t see one yellow or brown face in the movie. I knew they would not splurge for a supporting character of color. I would have settled for a background pilot.

I wanted to bring up some early Chinese American aviation accomplishments during Earhart’s era. My knowledge is limited to Chinese American contributions:

Anna Low: In 1918, became the first Chinese American women aviator.

Hazel Ying Lee: The first Chinese American women in Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP.)

Katherine Cheung: First Chinese American women licensed pilot in 1931. One of the original member of Ninety-Nines. You know the women pilot organization Earhart served as the first president. There's a short video of Katherine's granddaughter talking about her inspirations.

Leah Hing: Joined the Civil Air Patrol during WWII.

Wong Tsu: The Boeing Company’s first engineer in 1916.

Thanks for opening the sky. Hats (or headsets) off to you!

No comments: