16.8.09

I wanna grow up to be just like Long Bach Nguyen!

In addition to my zen conversations with my daughter series, I will begin posting on Asian Americans I admire. This is the first of the "I wanna grow up to be just like you" series.

Seattle-based Long Bach Nguyen is my hero of the week. World traveler. Professional pilot. Volunteer Civil Air Patrol search and rescue commander. Aerial photographer. Immigrant. Sounds like a fun person to be around.

The Seattle Times wrote an article on him this week. You can find his photography here. Some of his take-off and landings pictures serve as an useful learning tool for my own flights.

My favorite is the final approach to Port Orchard airport. That place cracks me up. Not the smallest airport by any means. Yet it totally gave me a very rural truck stop feeling the first time I landed there. I half expected some guy with a beer in hand making a call on a wall payphone. Or a diner waitress in a bright yellow uniform with white apron outside on a smoke break. But in reality it was 8pm and nobody was in sight. Must have all been down at the local tavern shooting pool or something.

No comments: