18.9.09

No Impact Man

On a recent grocery trip to my not so local Whole Foods, I saw a poster advertising a book signing. Whole Foods is kinda far from my house, because my “high diversity” neighborhood is not gentrified enough to support a high end store like Whole Foods. Or Whole Paycheck Foods, as my aunt and uncle likes to call them, since that’s what you’ll have to spend to shop there.

Anyway, the visiting author is Colin Beavan the No Impact Man, who along with his wife and toddler daughter, took a year long journey to live green and leave as little environmental impact as possible. It is reduce, reuse, recycle on steroids. No electricity, toilet paper, and creature comforts most of us depend on. Beavan started out as a blogger and is now touring the country with his newly published book, the holy grail of all bloggers.

I have not read his book, the documentary, or his blog. I’m sure the book is printed on post-consumer recycled paper and with soy-based ink. I have no problem with his green venture and social statement. Okay, maybe a little problem with his views. But it still tickles me that he’s selling his how-to guide via book. With paper. Made from trees. Wishing you success and great selling, Colin!

1 comment:

Runtoeat2013 said...

A bit of an oxymoran... But I guess if he used an e-book somone would shame him for using electricity.